Sunday, March 22, 2009

Teachable Moments

I am convinced that we are surrounded by teachable moments as parents, every day- all day. I've been really convicted this week that as a mother, I really need to focus on using these real life moments to teach our children about Jesus' love for us, about His grace, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, self- control, patience, etc. The fruits of the spirit that should pour from Christians in moments of trial and challenge. But instead, I often find that I'm so BUSY (yes, Burdened Under Satan's Yoke) that I lose the moments of teaching because I'm in a hurry to get it all done. I'm not patient in that moment, I don't always use kind words when I get frustrated, I don't exemplify Christ's love with my actions and reactions. I'm not patient when I should be and so on.......

Just last night, I had a sinkful of dirty dishes, 4 loads of clean laundry waiting to be folded, toys were scattered, and it was past bedtime and of course, there was ANOTHER moment. The kids came in all at once scrambling to tell me what had happened that they were upset about. They were scared by the issue and they needed my full attention at that very moment. I could tell that this situation with one of their friends had been very traumatic for them and even though I was internally struggling and not wanting to STOP my work, delay bedtime even more, and talk about the situation right then and there- I needed to. I really just wanted everyone to go to bed so I could get done with my chores and I could go to bed,too!! BUT....I realized that the Lord was giving me an opportunity to talk with my kids about some very serious issues and I've been praying for the Lord to help me meet each of their needs emotionally this whole week. I needed to focus on the eternal and not my present tiredness or my messy house (which really drives me crazy-I'm pretty OCD about keeping my house straight!)

So, I did sit down with the whole Newsom Team. Joel and I spent about an hour and a half talking and teaching our kids through this situation and yes, my dishes were still there when we were done but I was so thankful that I had left them in the sink for that time together. Let me just tell you what JOY I had in my heart over the conversation we had as a family about loving and serving other people that are hurting. It was priceless. The Lord gave me such a beautiful glimpse into the hearts of my children during that time and opened doors of conversation that strengthened not only them, but me! I went to bed utterly exhausted but so happy that God had shown me that the lessons my children learn are MUCH more important than my desire to keep a clean house. SO--- here's my testimony and accountability notice for all of you bloggy friends.......I'm really gonna try to live a little messier in my house this week and I'm going to focus on keeping a clean heart instead! I want to really BE THERE for my children and train them in the way they should go! I don't want to look back with regrets of time lost because I was picking up the Lego's for the tenth time that day, or sweeping my kitchen floor, AGAIN. I'm going to try to chill out and enjoy these teachable moments as they come! :)

Proverbs 22: 6 "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Romans 5:3-5 " We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us-- they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love."

Deuteronomy 11: 18-19 "So commit yourselves completely to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands as a reminder, and wear them on your forehead. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again."


PS--- We have no more updates on our adoption yet.....we are waiting for another referral of siblings. Please pray that God guides and directs us to the two children that are going to join our family!

Blessings,
AMY

No comments: