Sunday, September 20, 2009

Israel


Friday night was a treat for us!! Israel, Angie, and Gideon came over for dinner!! If you haven't read my past entries, Israel is our new Ethiopian friend that I met on the airplane when I came to house hunt in El Paso right before we traveled to Ethiopia to pick up Nahome!

Well--- Friday night was an amazing and inspiring evening as they joined us for an Ethiopian FEAST! It was delicious and to eat Injera and spicy Berbere Chicken while listening to the AMAZING life story of this neat young man, well-- it was WONDERFUL! Joel and I were both captivated as he shared with us the story of his journey through life! Isreal became an Ethiopian orphan at the age of 9 and travelled for 11 years through many countries, scary situations, hunger pangs, near starvation, prison, child slavery, etc.etc. to finally reach the destination he had dreamed of since he lost his parents--- America.

I personally think he should write a book about his life story as his experiences as an orphan could have such a positive impact on the American awareness of the orphan crisis in the world. I am convinced that 99% of Americans don't understand what it means to be an orphaned child-- either that, or they are in denial and don't want to think about it so they just pretend it doesn't exist. I am praying that God will open Israel's heart to sharing his story to increase awareness and help Americans understand that we can IMPACT the WORLD by loving orphans and doing just a little to meet the needs of these children!

Our evening with this sweet man and his family was a blessing to us and we are hoping to be able to visit with them very often. We are also praying BIG for Israel over the next few days and want to ask you to pray for him also. He is in the process of joining the US Army to serve our nation as a linguist (he speaks 8 languages fluently and would be an amazing addition to our armed forces!) He takes his language tests on this Tuesday. Will you pray for Israel on Tuesday morning? He is very hopeful that if he does well on Tuesday, he will be able to serve the country that he now calls home. Please join us, Israel's Christian family, in praying for this grown up orphan as he seeks God's plan for his life!

Blessings abound,
AMY

John 14: 13-14 "And whatever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

Psalm 145:18,19 "The Lord is near to all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. He will fulfil the desires of those that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I assure you our family will pray for him. If he writes the book let me know, I'll be his first customer...well, probably 2nd since you'd be the first. :)

Blessings, Vicky
A BFAS friend waiting on our referral.